ANNOUNCEMENT

ANNOUNCEMENT

05 August 2010

What's in a name?

I think 'Ernie & Bird' is a cute and fun name for a children's range of products. It reminds people of Sesame Street and stays in mind, uniquely different to other business names in the world of sewing mums at home. So what is in a name?

'Ernie' is my cat. I've had him for five years now and he's a menace. He is forever bugging me and getting in the way. He's always stinking out the house and kicking his kitty litter everywhere that does my head in. Not to mention he used our leather lounge as a scratching post not long after we bought it and it has small puncture holes and pulled thread up one side. He is a monster. But I love him.

'Bird' is a small black bird with an orange beak that I'm sure followed me when I moved from my home town in the Blue Mountains Western Sydney all the way down to Carrum Downs in Victoria. He then followed me once again as we moved homes within the same neighbourhood and continues to sit outside my kitchen window and keep a watchful eye over me. I joke with my mum that he is my guardian bird... I actually think he may be in the same family as those dreadful Indian Minors but this one is special. So bird was featured in my business name because he was literally sitting in front of me outside the window one sunny day as I was procrastinating over what to label my designs. Lucky bird!

So there you have it. According to my little book The Handmade Marketplace a name should represent something about you, be internet friendly and easy to find, and attract your target market. I think it achieves these goals and I hope you do too!


1 comment:

  1. I suspect Ernie might be related to Bella. Who is going to end up in a pie soon if she's not careful.

    ReplyDelete